Saturday, June 11, 2011

Field Repairs


Did you notice on some previous pictures, I managed to dent my right hand rear bumper. That caused me to screem out some words that are unsuitable to be repeated on the blog... However I finally took the time and took it off and worked on it. Using my Hi-Lift jack and applying the weight of the truck to the bumper combined with some severe hammering on it took the dent out. Almost anyways 1.


The plastic back of the light was broken off and would not support the socket for the bulb anymore. With a hose clamp I managed to fix it and some silicon make it waterproof again. A new bulb and the thing works as some japanese engineers once thought it out. - Almost anyways 2.


This is how it looks now, almost o.k. again. Once dirt caught up with it the damage will not be noticeable anymore... - Almost anyways 3.


As I was recovery the blue truck in snow and mud, where I got stuck, regular blog readers know, I heard it bubble on the right hand rear tire as it was stuck in the snowy mud. So I had to repair that puncture the next day in the camp at Caribou Lake.


The fix of the puncture took just a couple of minutes, but to pump it up again to full levels, uff - that spared me from jogging, kayaking, bycicling or any form of sport that day. Fitness enough.


Another stone, hit twice before it flew off. With the last bull eye in my windshield, that was in Texas, I have bought a repair kit and just tried it. I thought if the guys at the windowshop can do it, why should I not give it a try. By now I have fixed four of them and it seems to work out o.k. Let's hope that's it for a while. Yesterday I was lucky while crossing a log truck on a gravel road I saw a big stone flying off and of course, boom landed on my windshield, I did push my flat hand against the windshield as the Australian's do to lower the tension on the windshield and to my own surprise it seem to have worked, the stone hit on the lower windshield and I heard it over the roof taking off. No damage done. The picture is before the repair.

1 comment:

  1. I scream, you scream, we all scream, for ice cream:o)))
    ...emel tiptop suber, dä rächti 'Flügel' ond g'seht au weder schön entbült-x'sund us!

    ReplyDelete